This past week the pediatric dentist who is accused of performing unnecessary, damaging work closed his office. He also voluntarily gave up his license to practice here in Florida. It isn’t surprising considering what he has been accused of by many people. As you know from a prior post of mine (and also from the news) Dr. Howard S. Schneider is accused of abusing and mistreating many children. Remember, it was Brandi Motley, the mother who started the campaign against Schneider, who said it was her goal to shut down the doctor’s ability to practice but she also thinks his punishment shouldn’t end with his ability to practice.
Motely thinks Schneider is looking for the easy way out. Channel 4 knows that Schneider is facing at least 10 separate lawsuits for medical malpractice and neglect. Motley filed one of the lawsuits against Schneider on behalf of her 6-year-old daughter. She described her daughter as emotional and withdrawn. As Motely said in prior interviews, her daughter was scared to talk about it because Schneider would see it.
According to News4Jax, there are new police reports and new lawsuits against the dentist that have been filed this week. The accusations are very similar. The plaintiffs all say Schneider intentionally hurt them and caused permanent damage.
The State Attorney’s Office investigated Schneider in 2013, after a girl said he slapped her during a procedure, but prosecutors didn’t press charges because, according to records, Schneider and the staff “denied anything inappropriate happened” and there was an “improbability of conviction at trial.”
Police didn’t just respond to abuse complaints. There were disputes, a report of vandalism and even a death threat.
The dentist’s legal problems are getting worse. Last Friday, his wife filed for divorce, claiming he blocked her from “financial accounts and dissipated the funds.”
The Florida Attorney General’s Office, the State Attorney’s Office and the Jacksonville Sheriff’s Office are investigating Schneider. So far, no criminal charges have been filed.
Motley said that when her daughter had nine teeth pulled by Schneider and she reported it to police they told her it was a civil matter, an answer which she adamantly disagrees with.
“If I would’ve done that to my daughter, I would’ve gone to jail and my kids would’ve been taken. But for him to continue to practice and keep doing it,” Motley said.
Schneider has maintained his innocence.
Even though the doors are closed, the legal fight continues. Action News found Schneider’s license to practice in Georgia is still active.
Also last Friday, his attorneys filed a motion to dismiss a class action complaint filed earlier this month, that accuses Schneider of assault, battery, false imprisonment, and intentional infliction of emotional distress on four minor patients.
Schneider’s attorneys call that complaint a “sham pleading, intending to incite public unrest.”
Motley says parents should not back down.
“We’re getting to where we need to be, it’s just taking time to get there. I’m going to keep fighting for my baby until justice is done.”