Request a Free Consultation


You have probably found your way to this page if you have been involved in a car accident. There is nothing quite a car accident. It is loud, frightening, and often ends in injury. Your life might have turned on its head after your car accident. You may be swamped with unexpected medical bills, are missing time and wages from work, and perhaps are unable to enjoy your life like you used to before you were injured.

Read Our Free Car Accident Guide

Types of Car Accident Injuries

When you are in a car accident, there are several things that could happen to you that would require medical treatment and therefore warrant you filing a car accident case. The most common types of car accident injuries include:

  • Fractures and broken bones
  • Concussions or contusions
  • Traumatic brain injury
  • Spinal cord injury
  • Back or neck injury
  • Internal organ damage

The most important thing you can do for yourself after a car accident is seeking medical treatment. You want your injuries to be checked out as soon as possible so that you can get on the path of recovery. Also, if you do not seek medical attention right away, then you will have the insurance company claiming that you are not as injured as you claim to be. They will then try to throw out your case. You should never wait to see a doctor if you are in pain. Even right after the accident, it may be wise to go even if you only think you have minor injuries. They may turn into something worse down the line.

Auto Accident Statistics (2003)

  • In 2013, there were 316,943 crashes in the State of Florida
  • More than half (210,887) involved injuries; 2,402 involved fatalities
  • In 2013, there were approximately 868 crashes a day
  • From 2012 to 2013, pedestrian fatalities increases from 473 to 498
  • Friday, during the 5 p.m. hour, had the highest number of all types of crashes (2,960)
  • Saturday, during the 10 p.m. hour, had the highest number of fatal crashes (31)

Statutes of Limitation in Florida

The statute of limitations is the amount of time you are allotted to bring your car accident case in civil court. Florida allows exactly four years from the date of the accident to get this case brought or filed. You may think that four years leaves you plenty of time to talk to an attorney, but truthfully, it is not the case. When you are in a car accident, there is evidence at the scene of the crash, you will have injuries that need tending to, and there are witnesses who have key information. If you wait, for example, two years to even call that attorney, your evidence is gone and your witnesses might have forgotten details that are going to help you win full and fair compensation for your injuries. That is why we encourage you to call our office right away and we can get to working for you right away.


No Fault

Many states, including Florida, have adopted a no-fault liability policy for car accidents. When a driver has been in an accident in Florida, No Fault Auto Insurance allows the driver to collect from his or her insurance company no matter who is at fault. When the damages or injuries exceed a certain monetary threshold or injury level, the injured parties are free to pursue full compensation against the responsible or negligent driver.

If you or a loved one is involved in an automobile accident, you must seek medical treatment within fourteen (14) days, or you get NONE of the car accident insurance you paid for.

Florida’s No-Fault law’s changes became effective on January 1st. The law now states that if a person injured in a car accident waits to see if his or her injuries will improve and fails to seek medical care within two weeks of the accident, the person’s insurance carrier does not have to pay for any medical treatment or lost wages even though the person paid for this coverage.

How Compensation Works

Compensation is determined by the severity of your injuries. Typically speaking, the worse your injuries are, the more you will be compensated. What also goes into determining how much you will be compensated is the amount of time you will be affected by your injuries, if you will need future medical treatment, if you need surgery, and factors such as those.

What you should also be aware of Florida’s pure comparative negligence rules. This has to do with shared fault for the car accident. If you were obeying all traffic laws, and someone smashed into you, odds are you won’t share fault. If you were at all responsible for the accident, say you were speeding when you were t-boned, then you would be deemed a certain percent of fault. When you are partially responsible, you will have a reduced compensation award. The only way to get completely barred from compensation is if you are deemed 100% at fault for your accident. The way partial fault works is as such: if you were found to be 20% at fault for your car accident, and you were awarded $100,000 for your damages, then it would be reduced to $80,000. That is why we will work hard to keep the insurance company from blaming you for an accident.

Avoiding Talking to the Insurance Company

If you want to protect your right to full compensation, the one thing you should avoid at all costs is talking to the insurance company representing the person who hit you. They will be reaching out to you after your car accident, perhaps while you’re still in the hospital, and they will ask for a recorded statement. These recorded statements are designed to help them reduce their responsibility to you or allow them to throw out your claim altogether. When they come calling, you have no legal obligation to talk to them or give them a recorded statement. We suggest you hire an attorney right away and have them take over all communication.

Contact Our Jacksonville Car Accident Attorneys Today

If you have been seriously injured in a car accident, please don’t hesitate to call our Jacksonville car accident attorneys at Edwards & Ragatz to set up a free case evaluation. We will work tirelessly to get you the fullest and fairest amount of compensation possible.

Read Our Free Car Accident Guide or Request a Consultation Below